Interested in a career in Childcare or Social Care? We can help you take that first step.
Training for Care’s Step into Childcare/Social Care programme is designed to help you gain employability skills and work experience so that you can move into employment in the childcare or social care sector. The programme is funded by Skills Development Scotland’s Employability Fund and is at stage 3 of the Employability Pipeline.
Interested in a career in Childcare or Social Care This could be the perfect course for you!
Please note, due to Covid-19 you may not be able to attend a work placement. If placements are not possible, you will instead complete additional SQA Units relating to Childcare.
Apply at any time
|Programme Start Dates|
|Wednesday 16th March 2022|
About the programme
Who is the programme for?
What is the programme for?
- Build up your knowledge and practical experience of caring for adults or children
- Gain confidence and employability skills
- Find employment in social care or childcare
Do I need to pay and am I eligible for a place?
The programme is funded by Skills Development Scotland (SDS). Please contact your local SDS Careers Centre or DWP Office to find out whether you are eligible.
Do I get any financial support?
You will receive a training allowance of £55 per week plus weekly travel costs after the first £3 (if you are a DWP client you will continue to receive your benefits instead of the training allowance)
How long does the programme last?
13 – 26 weeks depending on how quickly you build up your skills
Where and when does the training take place?
- Monday to Friday, 30 hours per week
- Placement 4 days per week (you may be asked to work early or back shifts at certain placements but this will be agreed with you beforehand)
- Tutorial 1 day per week (Wednesday 9.30am – 12.30pm)
What will I do on placement?
- You will work with your chosen client group: either with children in nurseries, playgroups and afterschool clubs; or with older people and people with additional needs in care homes, daycare centres and community care
- You will find out what is involved in carrying out a care support worker or childcare practitioner job and have the chance to do real hands on work assisting in, e.g., child development and personal care
- You will work towards achieving the SQA ‘Practical Workplace Skills’ unit
What will I do on tutorial days?
- You will develop your knowledge and understanding of care theory and practice and receive employability training
- You will work towards achieving units from SQAs “Certificate of Work Readiness”
- You will receive certificated training in First Aid, Moving and Handling and Infection Control (includes Covid-19)
How will I be supported?
- Your course tutor will work closely with you throughout the programme and give you the support you need
- Your work placement will allocate a member of staff to work with you and support you
What will I do after the course?
Our aim is to help you find employment as a Modern Apprentice, with fully funded entry to our SQA approved qualifications in either Social Services Children and Young People SVQ Level 3 or Social Services and Healthcare SVQ Level 2. These qualifications are required to be a registered carer of children or adults in Scotland.
What do I need to get a place on the course?
- You must be aged 16 or over
- Selection for the programmes is by interview
- Show that you have a real interest in either childcare or care of adults
- A work experience placement, or voluntary work, or babysitting or family care to back up your interest would also be very helpful